So a few weeks ago I finally gave in and bought a little sample pack of Nutella to see what all the hype was about. Even though I was a little scared of it…it turned out to be pretty good. I ended up buying a jar at the grocery store, but it had been sitting in the cupboard unopen for about two weeks. I had seen tons of Nutella recipes and decided cookies would be good. I went to the Weight Watchers website to find a recipe (thought that would be a good place to start). So my inspiration for this recipe is from the Community Boards on WW which were a thumbprint cookie.
Now, if you’ve made thumbprint cookies before you know that they typically call for egg yolks and that just seemed like to much work for me at the time. Plus, I didn’t want a huge batch because the last thing I need sitting around the house is cookies! It doesn’t really matter if they are only 1 or 2 WW points plus when you eat 12 by yourself…at one time! So having to reduce the ingredients in the recipe meant I had to figure out the egg yolk…and I just didn’t want to do it, so I used egg beaters instead because that was the easiest and quickest way to get the amount of egg I needed. I knew this would change the consistency of the cookie, but I thought why not be a little experimental. Lastly, I was not really in the mood to be patient with having to refrigerate the dough and then roll the cookies into balls…I just wanted to get it all done at once. So I just scooped them out into the best round shape I could and made an indentation in the middle with a spoon.
When they came out of the oven they looked nothing like thumbprint cookies, but they looked and smelled good, at least.
Once they cooled and I was able to test them out I was pleasantly surprised. They were really rich and chocolatey and the Nutella on top added a nice dimension to the flavor.
Chocolate Nutella Cookies (Makes 15 cookies; WW Points Plus = 2/cookie)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 tbsp. refrigerated egg substitutes (i.e. Egg Beaters)
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
7 1/2 tsp. Nutella
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt with a whisk.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter until fluffy 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and Egg Beaters and beat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, beating on low speed until well combined.
- Scoop cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, pressing down in the middle with a spoon to make a small indentation.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool. When cookies are completely cooled top each one with a 1/2 tsp. nutella.