I wanted to make fajitas the other night for dinner, but had no tortillas. I didn’t want to run to the store so I just did a quick search on the internet to see if I could make them. After reading a few recipes, it was quite clear that these are so EASY!!! They were easy, they were quick and tasted great. Why didn’t I ever try to make these before???!!! I will definitely never buy flour tortillas anymore! I froze the leftovers…and they reheat great in the microwave!
Flour Tortillas(Makes 12)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. vegetable shortening
3/4 cups water
- Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the shortening with your fingers or a pastry blender until the flour resembles cornmeal.
- Add the water a little bit at a time and mix until the dough is able to be made into a ball.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll each dough ball into a thin, round tortilla.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place tortillas, one at a time, into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side.